Bollywood Society » What is Hollywood Library all about?

What is Hollywood Library all about?

by Ratan Srivastava
177 views
Hollywood Library

The Hollywood Library is indeed a branch of the Multnomah County Library (MCL) in Portland, Oregon. It is located inside the Hollywood District. The library, which is located at NE 41st Avenue as well as Tillamook Street, was built in 2002 and features three residential levels above it. The former structure, which was built in 1959 at NE 39th Avenue and Hancock Street, was scheduled to just be sold to such a private event in 2003 for $675,000. The MCL catalogue of two million books, periodicals, as well as other items is available there at branch.

The branch, which was known as Rose City Park Library until 1959, was established in 1917 at 1236 Sandy Road. The library, which was heavily utilised, quickly ran out of capacity, prompting local residents to seek funding for such a larger structure. A new facility was erected in 1926, designed by architect Jamieson Parker (who really designed the Belmont Library). It opened at 1170 NE Hancock Street in August of that year.

Multnomah County contracted the Stewart as well as Richardson architectural company to construct a new 6,000 to 7,500 square foot (560 to 700 m2) facility for Rose City Park Library inside the 1950s as part of a long-range library plan. The structure, located at 3960 NE Hancock Street, was finished and inaugurated in April 1959.

The library, which was heavily utilised, quickly ran out of capacity, prompting local residents to seek funding for such a larger structure. A new facility was erected in 1926, designed by architect Jamieson Parker (who really designed the Belmont Library). It opened at 1170 NE Hancock Street in August of that year.

Multnomah County contracted the Stewart as well as Richardson architectural company to construct a new 6,000 to 7,500 square foot (560 to 700 m2) facility for Rose City Park Library inside the 1950s as part of a long-range library plan. The structure, located at 3960 NE Hancock Street, was finished and inaugurated in April 1959.

The library board renamed the branch from Rose City Park Library to Hollywood Library two months later, to better match the name of the community it serviced.

This library’s circulation it has more than quadrupled by 1996, reaching an average of 47,000 items per month. Voters supported a bond bill in that year to modernise libraries, particularly the Hollywood branch and three others. At NE 41st Avenue and Tillamook Street, the library contracted architect Thomas Hacker and Associates as well as development company Sockeye Hollywood to build a mixed-use structure. Well above library is a building with 47 mixed-income flats that was finished in 2002.

Also Read: North Hollywood shootout: Tap to read details about it

Related News

Leave a Comment