The Fort Lauderdale –Hollywood International Airport is one of three airports servicing the Miami metropolitan region in Broward County, Florida, United States. The airport is 3 miles (5 kilometres) southwest of downtown Fort Lauderdale and 21 miles (34 kilometres) north of Miami, and therefore is accessible via Interstate 595, Interstate 95, U.S. Route 1, Florida State Road A1A, and Florida State Road 5. It is bordered by that the urban centres of Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, as well as Dania Beach.
FLL has now become an international gateway ever since the late 1990s, including over 700 regular flights to 135 local and foreign locations, however, Miami International Airport currently manages the majority of long-haul flights.
FLL is the major airport serving Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, as well as Boca Raton, as well as a secondary airport serving sections of Miami as well as regions north of Boca Raton for flights not covered by Palm Beach International Airport, including such Delray Beach as well as Boynton Beach, and West Palm Beach. Allegiant Air, JetBlue, and Spirit Airlines all use the airport, with the latter’s corporate offices being close in Dania Beach.
Merle Fogg, a World War I aviator, paid $1,200 in 1928 for just an abandoned 9-hole golf course that had been damaged inside the 1926 Miami storm. Merle Fogg Field, featuring two criss-cross dirt runways, was formally inaugurated on May 1, 1929. The United States Navy activated it and christened it Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale there at the outbreak of World War II. A control tower was erected, and the runways were paved. Initially, the facility was used to retrofit civilian aircraft for military usage before being transported over the Atlantic to Europe and North Africa.
Naval Aviators as well as enlisted naval aircrewmen operating the Grumman TBF and TBM Avenger for us Navy as Well as us Marine Corps onboard aircraft carriers as well as from expeditionary airfields onshore trained at NAS Fort Lauderdale. Flight 19, those five TBM Avengers which vanished in December 1945 and contributed towards the Bermuda Triangle’s fame, was based at NAS Fort Lauderdale.
On October 1, 1946, NAS Fort Lauderdale were decommissioned and handed over to the county, establishing Broward County International Airport.